“Although COVID-19 is a common storm, it affects us all differently – especially so in a deeply unequal society like ours. What is universal, though, is our need for light and lightness,” say the curators Jay Pather and Vaughn Sadie.
Pather and Sadie explain that while some of the works grapple with the pandemic, others offer “glimmers of pure beauty and opportunities to play”.
The installations include:
- LUME by EGBERT WESTRA: An interactive installation where visitors can use their cell phone’s flashlight to create images on a phosphorescent screen alongside Lucy, a light painting robot
- THE SINGING TREE by THE WILLOW COLLECTIVE: An interactive piece combining light, music and technology with design and motion. The music and lights around you begin to change according to your position within the tree, inviting you to further interact with the environment
- UMDIYDIYA by WEZILE MGIBE: in this video, the artist reflects back on past experiences in welcoming and unwelcoming spaces and celebrates the connections between loved ones
- HOW DO YOU MOURN? by GEORGIA MUNNIK: An array of colourful sculptures that invite viewers to reflect on the impact of climate change
Spier Light Art is free to the public until 18 April 2021. Visitors will need to reserve a timeslot on Dineplan to ensure compliance with COVID-19 safety protocols and government restrictions.
The best time to visit is at dusk, when you can catch both the beautiful sunset and the switching on of the lights.
Food and drink
- Pre-book a Sunset Picnic online (collect your basket at 18.00, and return it by 21.00).
- Spier Farm Café is open daily until 21.00 with a delicious build your own picnic offering, great coffee and late-night treats.
- Vadas Smokehouse & Bakery is open until 21.00 on Friday, Saturday & Sundays, booking advised.
- Our Farmer Angus Braai Pop-up is open daily until 21.00.
- Enjoy a Spier Wine Tasting on the deck, extended opening hours until 19.30 on Friday, Saturday, Sunday and public holidays during Light Art.
- Enjoy a glass of wine on your walkabout from the Wine Truck, open daily until 21.00.
Wine Club Members enjoy a free bottle of Signature wine with every Sunset picnic basket. All Light Art visitors get 15% off wine purchases of 6 bottles or more at Wine Tasting from 4pm till close. Our Special Platters at Wine Tasting include two glasses of complimentary Spier Cap Classique Brut Rose.
Audiences wellbeing is paramount and there are an extensive range of COVID-19 safety protocols in place. In addition to timed slots (booked online), these include:
- Temperature checking is available at the Welcome Station and sanitising stations are available at various point throughout the farm
- The interactive works are all outside and spaciously set apart from each other; visitor flow is also monitored. This ensures social distancing will be adhered to at all times
- Only visitors wearing masks will be admitted; mask-wearing is mandatory throughout your visit
Make a night of it! Stay at Spier Hotel for just R1100 per person per night. This rate includes a delicious Sunset Picnic, a restful night in a spacious room, and a delicious breakfast the next morning.Find out more and book your room!
Spier Light Art is one of Spier’s Growing for Good initiatives, which empower communities to create positive social and environmental change.