Serve with a bottle of Spier 21 Gables Chenin Blanc.
Ingredients: (serves 4)
- 30 ml vegetable oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely grated
- about 100 g chicken breast, diced
- 10 ml (2 teaspoons) medium curry powder
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) medium curry powder
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) tomato paste
- 2 large tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 large potato, peeled & diced
- 500 ml vegetable/chicken stock
- 4 medium-large chicken breasts
- cooked rice, tomato & pineapple salsa, fruit chutney, fresh coriander, etc. (to serve)
1. In a large pot, add the oil and onions over medium heat, then fry until soft and translucent. Add the garlic and fry for another minute. Remove from the heat, and scoop half of the fried mixture into a blender. Add the chicken breast and 10 ml curry powder to the blender, season with salt & pepper, and blend to a paste. Remove and set aside.
2. Return the other half of the fried mixture back to the heat. Add the remaining 15 ml curry powder and tomato paste, and stir well. Add the chopped tomatoes, potato and stock and bring to a simmer. Cook until the potatoes are tender (about 15 minutes), then remove from the heat. Transfer carefully to a blender (or use a stick blender in the pot), then blend to a smooth, thick sauce. Season with salt & pepper and set aside.
3. Flatten the chicken breast using a mallet or rolling pin. Spread the stuffing over the flattened chicken breast and roll it up into a log shape. Wrap each rolled chicken breast tightly in cling wrap to keep its shape and poach in slowly simmering water for about 12-15 minutes and set aside to cool. Remove cling wrap from the chicken and brown the logs briefly in a pan with butter. Slice each log into 3 pieces to reveal the stuffing inside, then serve with the curry sauce, rice, salsa, chutney and fresh herbs.
About the wine: Spier 21 Gables Chenin Blanc
Soft aromas of dried apricots and ripe tropical fruit, with an oak and vanilla undertow on the nose. On the palate, there’s good acidity and rounded rich flavours of white flesh peaches, almond paste and creaminess.