- 2 ripe apples
- 2 oranges
- 1 pineapple
- 1 melon sweet or winter
- 375ml of sugar or more if required
- 5ml lemon juice
1. Peel, core and chop all the fruit into approximately 3 cm pieces.
2. In a pan, add the chopped fruit along with sugar and cook on medium heat. Stir continuously until the mixture comes to a boil.
3. Reduce to a low heat and let the mixture simmer until it thickens, stirring regularly.
4. Once the mixture has started to resemble semi-solid jam, add the lemon juice and mix well.
5. Cook until the jam becomes thick, stirring at intervals. It will take about 90 minutes on low heat.
6. Pour a few drops of jam on a plate. If it spreads, it’s not ready; if it stays firm, your jam is done.
7.Take the jam off the heat, allow it to cool slightly and then store in sterilised jar.
'The perfect way to use up left-over fruit salad,' Chef Decima beams.