The Spier Yellowwood Organic Rosé has beautiful flavours of violets, mulberry, juicy red plum and subtle spice, and is the perfect partner to this fragrant frittata.
Ingredients (serves 6)
· 30ml butter
· 200g leeks, sliced up (about 2 cups)
· 8 XL eggs
· Small bunch of baby spinach leaves (about 20g)
· Small bunch of parsley (about 20g)
· Small bunch of dill (about 20g) with extra for garnish
· Salt and pepper, to taste
· 250g thick sour cream
· 1 ripe avocado, sliced
· At least 100g cold-smoked trout/salmon ribbons
· Fresh lemon wedge, to serve
Preheat oven to 220°C
In a 23cm iron skillet, heat half the butter and fry the leeks until soft but not too brown.
Transfer to a blender, adding eggs, spinach, parsley, dill and a generous seasoning of salt and pepper. Process into a thick, green batter.
In the same pan, add the rest of the butter over high heat. Add the green mixture, using a spatula to stir it slowly as if making scrambled eggs. Stop stirring when the mixture starts to look lumpy but still runny (it only takes a minute or two).
Transfer the pan to the oven, and bake for 8 – 10 minutes, until just set.
Allow to cool at room temperature, then top with sour cream, sliced avocado and trout/salmon. Season, slice and serve with fresh lemon wedges.
Spier wines can be tasted and purchased at the farm in Stellenbosch, and are widely available in stores and online at shop.spier.co.za