As curator of the poetry festival, Breytenbach has selected a mix of eminent global voices whose lives and work embody fiery critique and fearless witness of societies as varied as Morocco, Chad and China.
The line-up includes:
- Homero Aridjis, a Latin American poet, novelist, environmental activist and diplomat, from Mexico;
- Chinese writer and one of the celebrated Misty poets, Duo Duo;
- Ilya Kaminsky, a young Russian-American star and deaf poet; and
- Abedllatif Laabi, a most prolific and critically acclaimed North African poet, from Morocco.
- Local luminaries participating include Ingrid de Kok, Henning Pieterse and Mxolisi Nyezwa.
Ticket sales for the two-day festival are available from www.quicket.co.za. All events will be ticketed.
A series of moderated conversations are free of charge. Poetry readings are R190 per night (includes canapés and a complimentary glass of Spier wine).
For more information visit www.spierpoetryfestival.co.za.