Spier is proud to be part of the Stellenbosch Ready program. Read more about our safety pledge here.
What precautions are in place at the Spier Farm Cafe?
- Use of a mask is compulsory; all shoppers are provided with hand sanitizer upon entry
- Only a limited number of shoppers are permitted in a space at a time, and entry and exits operate on a one-way basis
- A dedicated staff member sanitises all surfaces with a 70% alcohol sanitiser both before opening and at least every four hours during the day
- Point of sale areas are shielded by a transparent “sneeze-guard” which is regularly cleaned
- All staff members wear personal protective equipment
- The packing station is sanitised after each shopper’s bag/box has been packed with the purchased items
And what about online deliveries?
Spier drivers have received training in hygiene and social distancing based on WHO guidelines. Each staff member is temperature tested daily at the beginning of their shift.
All deliveries are contactless: drivers have been instructed not to make physical contact with any customers and to maintain a safe distance during drop-off. They wear masks and use hand sanitiser between deliveries and use a fresh pair of surgical gloves for each delivery.
How are we looking after the health of our staff at this time?
We have provided extensive information about COVID-19 and the precautions they can take to prevent its spread. We have also provided our staff with sanitiser and masks.
Staff are able to contact our occupational health nurse should they be feeling unwell. The nurse also checks in regularly with immunocompromised and other at-risk team members.
Staff that are able to work from home are encouraged to do so, those that do come in follow our strict health and safety protocols which include having their temperature tested. They wear a mask, and regularly use hand sanitiser and wash hands. They also respect and observe appropriate social distancing protocols while working.
What precautions are in place at the Spier Hotel and Conference Centre?
At our hotel
- Contactless check-ins have been implemented.
- All staff wear masks (as well as gloves when cleaning rooms, public areas and restrooms); they are required to regularly sanitise their hands and wash their masks and uniforms; they are always required to maintain a distance of at least 1.5m between themselves and guests or colleagues
- All surface areas in public areas are continuously cleaned
- Upon arrival, guests are required to disinfect themselves at a sanitising station. Sanitising stations for staff and guests are available throughout the farm
- Snapscan facilitates contactless credit card transactions and tap-card facilities are available. At check-out, keys are returned by guests in a drop box (the cards will be cleaned thoroughly between uses)
- Rooms are disinfected after every departure.
- Although in-room dining is available, it looks a little different: guests are notified when the food is placed on a tray outside the door; guests are requested to put the tray outside their door upon finishing their meal
- Evening turn-down is on hold
- A number of room elements are not present: these include pencils and notepads; there won’t be a minibar but drinks can be ordered off our In-Room Dining menu
- Tools and equipment shared by staff (including credit card terminals, phones and computers) are sanitised before, during and after each shift or anytime the equipment is transferred to a colleague
At our Kids Clubhouse
- The area gets disinfected after closing time and all surfaces sanitized on opening. SABS approved Geochem chemicals are used to clean the facility. High-touch surfaces are wiped and sanitized every hour or immediately after use. Kiddies toys are sanitized after each play and club opening.
- Visitors are required to sanitize on entry and kids are encouraged to practice good hygiene by washing their hands often
- Childminders are fully inducted on the COVID-19 protocols
- Windows and doors are kept open, to allow for a good circulation of clean air
- A maximum of 6 kids can be accommodated per childminder. Different play areas are used per childminder, to avoid close contact with each playgroup
At our conferencing venues
- Seating capacities and floor plans of each event will be reviewed to ensure appropriate physical distancing; we will also offer planners a selection of floor plans designed to accommodate social distancing. Seats are assigned to delegates for the duration of the conference.
- An electronic screening questionnaire is completed by each delegate prior to arrival, and temperatures checked and recorded on arrival.
- Instead of water carafes, delegates will be able to stay hydrated with individual bottles of water
- Sanitising wipes will be available for delegates to use
- Venues will be deep cleaned after each event and used pens and notepads will be discarded; clean and soiled linens will be transported in sealed single-use plastic bags into and out of the venue
- When it comes to the serving of food:
- The same protocols used by our restaurants apply
- Our traditional buffet is now a serviced buffet; coffee and other break items will be served by a server
What precautions are in place at our restaurants?
- Waiter stations and the host’s desk will be sanitised hourly
- Order stations will be sanitised between each user and before and after each shift. Waiters will sanitise their hands after each use
- Tables, bar top, stools and chairs as well as all reusable items guests come into contact with (such as bill folders and pens) will be sanitised after each use.
- Trays and tray stand will sanitised after each use
- Our restaurant and bar areas will be deep cleaned between meal periods.
- To facilitate appropriate social distancing there will be
- Signage at entrances and in waiting areas to remind people; hostesses and managers will be on hand to assist
- Fewer tables and barstools to allow more space between them
These procedures will evolve in accordance with government regulations, medical expertise, WHO guidance and international best practices.