Spier is proud to be part of the Stellenbosch Ready program. Read more about our safety pledge here.
What precautions are in place at the Spier Farm Café?
A dedicated staff member sanitises all surfaces with a 70% alcohol sanitiser both before opening and at least every four hours during the day. The packing station is also sanitised after each shopper’s bag/box has been packed with the purchased items.
And what about online deliveries?
Spier drivers have received training in hygiene and social distancing based on WHO guidelines. Each staff member is temperature tested daily at the beginning of their shift.
All deliveries are contactless: drivers have been instructed not to make physical contact with any customers and to maintain a safe distance during drop-off. They wear masks and use hand sanitiser between deliveries.
How are we looking after the health of our staff at this time?
Staff follows our strict health and safety protocols. They regularly use hand sanitiser and wash hands. They also respect and observe appropriate social distancing protocols while working.
Staff members are able to contact our occupational health nurse should they be feeling unwell. The nurse also checks in regularly with immunocompromised and other at-risk team members.
What precautions are in place at the Spier Hotel and our meeting venues?
At our Hotel:
- All staff are required to regularly sanitise their hands. They are always required to maintain a distance of at least 2m between themselves and guests or colleagues.
- All surface areas in public areas are continuously cleaned.
- Sanitising stations for guests are available throughout the farm.
- Snapscan, contactless credit card transactions and tap-card facilities are available.
- A number of room elements are not present: these include pencils and notepads. There won’t be a minibar, but drinks can be ordered off our In-Room Dining menu.
- Tools and equipment shared by staff (including credit card terminals, phones and computers) are sanitised before, during and after each shift or anytime the equipment is transferred to a colleague.
At our Kids Clubhouse:
- The area gets cleaned after closing time and all surfaces sanitised on opening. SABS approved chemicals are used to clean the facility. High-touch surfaces are wiped and sanitized regularly. Kiddies toys are sanitized after each play and club opening.
- Kids are encouraged to practice good hygiene by washing their hands often.
- Childminders are fully inducted on the COVID-19 protocols.
- Windows and doors are kept open, to allow for a good circulation of clean air.
At our meeting venues, subject to government regulations permitting gatherings:
- Seating capacities and floor plans of each event will be reviewed to ensure appropriate physical distancing; we will also offer planners a selection of floor plans designed to accommodate social distancing. Seats are assigned to delegates for the duration of the meeting.
- Venues are cleaned after each event and used pens and notepads will be discarded. Clean and soiled linens will be transported in sealed single-use plastic bags into and out of the venue.
- When it comes to the serving of food, the same protocols used by our restaurants apply.
- Hand sanitiser is available in all meeting rooms, and surfaces are sanitised.
What precautions are in place at our restaurants?
- Waiter stations and the host’s desk will be sanitised regularly.
- Order stations will be sanitised between each user and before and after each shift. Waiters will sanitise their hands after each use.
- Tables, bar top, stools and chairs as well as all reusable items guests come into contact with (such as bill folders and pens) will be sanitised after each use.
- Trays and tray stand will sanitised after each use.
- Our restaurant and bar areas are cleaned between meal periods.
These procedures will evolve in accordance with government regulations, medical expertise, WHO guidance and international best practices.