Nothing quite says "Summer!" like a crisp, unwooded Chenin Blanc.
When hunger strikes, whip up these tikka masala tacos for lunch. Assembling them is a breeze, and their creamy spiciness is the perfect match for the Spier Signature Chenin Blanc.
Run out of fish? No problimo! The tikka marinade is incredibly versatile: you can use it with chicken or pork instead. While you enjoy that first sip of wine, leave the meat to marinate for a few hours, then simply transfer to a hot pan and stir until cooked. If you like your food hotter than the Kalahari in December, then add some chilli powder from the start. The yoghurt and dill mixture will add balance and cooling creaminess to your tacos.
Ingredients: (makes 6 medium tacos)
For the fish tikka:
• 1 teaspoon ground cumin
• 1 teaspoon ground fennel
• 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
• 2 teaspoons garam masala
• ½ teaspoon turmeric
• ¼ - ½ teaspoon chilli powder (optional)
• 2 cloves garlic, finely grated
• a knob of ginger, finely grated
• finely grated zest and juice of a medium lemon
• ½ cup plain yoghurt
• salt & pepper
• 600 g firm white fish, cubed
• 15 ml vegetable oil, for frying
For assembling the taco:
• 1 cup plain yoghurt
• a generous handful fresh dill, finely chopped
• 6 medium-size soft flour tortillas
• about 2 cups sliced tomato
• 1 small red onion, finely sliced
• a handful fresh coriander leaves, roughly chopped
- Prepare the fish tikka: Add the cumin, fennel, paprika, masala, turmeric, chilli (optional), garlic, ginger, lemon zest and juice and yoghurt to a ceramic or plastic bowl, season with salt and pepper and mix well. Add the cubed fish and mix to coat all over. Cover and refrigerate for 1-3 hours to marinate.
- Heat a wide large pan over high heat, add the oil, then add the fish with marinade to the pan. Stir while frying for about 5 minutes, until the fish is cooked and the marinade reduces to a thick coating. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Mix the yoghurt and dill in a small mixing bowl.
- Assemble the tacos: Top each taco with a dollop of dill yoghurt, fish tikka, sliced tomato, red onion and fresh coriander.
- Serve at once, with a glass of Spier Signature Chenin Blanc.