Prep time: 20 minutes; cooking time: 4½ hours.
Ingredients: (serves 8)
• 2 carcasses from whole smoked chickens, including the back with the meat on it
• 2 onions quartered
• 2 leeks, white parts sliced in half and washed well
• 8 sprigs fresh thyme
• 8 sprigs of fresh coriander
• 6 cloves garlic quartered
• 4 large carrots peeled and cut into large chunks
• 2 ribs celery cut into thirds
• 1 stick of lemongrass – cut in half lengthwise
• 2 bay leaves
• 10 whole black peppercorns
• 1 tsp of freshly ground desert salt
• 4 litres of ice water – this allows for better flavour extraction from the carcasses.
Preheat oven to 180˚C
Place the carcasses in a heavy-based oven dish and roast till browned and aromatic for 20 to 30 minutes.
In a large pot over medium heat, add the carcasses, onion, garlic, carrots, celery, leek, thyme, coriander, lemongrass, peppercorns, bay leaves and ice water.
Slowly bring to a soft boil and reduce the heat to low.
Skim off as much foam as possible; cook, uncovered, for 4 hours, adding hot water so the chicken and vegetables remain covered.
Line a fine-mesh strainer or colander with several layers of muslin cloth and place it over a large bowl.
Strain the broth and discard the solids. After seasoning to taste, serve with freshly chopped coriander and a glass of the Spier 21 Gables Chenin Blanc.
About the wine: 21 Gables Chenin Blanc
Matured for 14 months in French oak, this full-bodied wine offers soft aromas of dried apricots and ripe tropical fruit, with an oak and vanilla undertow, on the nose. On the palate, there’s a rounded richness of flavour and good acidity, with white flesh peaches, almond paste and creamy notes. At the 2018 Old Mutual Trophy Wine Show, this wine received the Harold Eedes Trophy for Best Chenin Blanc and was also given the Old Mutual Trophy for Best White Wine Overall.
About the Spier Winter Tasting:
Three hearty pairings form Spier’s Winter Tasting. 21 Gables Chenin Blanc is matched with a smoked chicken and coriander broth, the Ideology Rhône-style blend is twinned with a slow-roasted mushroom and Gorgonzola soup, and the Private Collection Cabernet Sauvignon is paired with a slow-cooked springbok shank and barley soup. Available at our Tasting Room until 31 August for R95.