Globally renowned UK-based Master of Wine Tim Atkin has awarded Medals of Excellence to 10 of Spier’s wines for each achieving a rating of 90 and above.
Featured in his just-launched 2020 South Africa Special Report, the medal-winning are from four different Spier ranges, encompassing a diverse array of varietals and styles.
“We’re truly honoured by this recognition of the breadth and depth of our passionate commitment to crafting quality wines,” says Cellar Master Frans Smit. The 2020 South Africa Special Report is Atkin’s eighth annual report on South Africa’s wines, featuring hundreds of detailed tasting notes.
Spier’s high achievers:
- Spier Frans K Smit White Blend 2017 (94 points). Atkin’s comments: “Spier's cellar master makes a little wine under his own label and very good it is too. Picked early in the day and season to retain acidity, this is a partnership of Sauvignon with 15% Semillon, fermented in a large foudre and showing herbal top notes, precise, tangy, lemongrass and grapefruit flavours and leesy complexity. 2021-25”
- Spier Frans K Smit Red Blend 2015 (92 points). Atkin’s comments: “Picked ripe, albeit in a very good vintage, this is a big, bold, ageworthy blend of Cabernet Sauvignon with 50% Merlot, Cabernet Franc and Petit Verdot. Showing lots of scented new oak, serious tannins, layers of damson, cassis and blueberry fruit and a hint of graphite, it's a serious wine that needs time to integrate fully. 2022-27”
- Spier 21 Gables Sauvignon Blanc 2019 (92 points) Atkin’s comments: “The southwest facing slopes of the Tygerberg in Durbanville are the source of this intense, just off-dry Sauvignon Blanc, which has taken a leaf out of New Zealand's book. Grapefruit and gooseberry flavours are complemented by some appealing leesy weight. 2020-23”
- Spier 21 Gables Chenin Blanc 2018 (92 points) Atkin’s comments: “Dryland, old-vine parcels with an average age of 35 years supply the grapes for this concentrated, overtly wooded Chenin Blanc which shows layers of honey, pear and guava, some tannin and extract from short skin contact and a rich, toasty finish. 2021-24”
- Spier 21 Gables Cabernet Sauvignon 2016 (92 points). Atkin’s comments: “Part of a consistently impressive range under the 21 Gables label, this Cabernet hails from a northwest-facing slope on the Helderberg. Dense, layered and flavoursome, it has the structure to balance its 70% new wood, some tannic backbone and scented blackcurrant pastille and cedarwood notes. 2022-26”
- Spier 21 Gables Pinotage 2017 (92 points). Atkin’s comments: “All made from dryland vineyards overlooking False Bay, this is a full-throttle Pinotage with layers of mocha-scented French, American and Hungarian oak, smooth, textured tannins, plenty of bright plum, blueberry and summer pudding flavours and a toasty finish. 2022-25”
- Spier Creative Block 2 2019 (92 points). Atkin’s comments: “Jacques Erasmus produces this very stylish white blend of Sauvignon and 8% Semillon from four vineyards in Durbanville and Stellenbosch. Totally unwooded, but made with a little skin contact, it has pithy pink grapefruit flavours, some leesy weight and a herbal twist. 2020-23”
- Spier Creative Block 3 2017 (91 points). Atkin’s comments: “Groenekloof and Stellenbosch are the twin sources for this Rhône style red blend of Shiraz with 7% Mourvèdre and Viognier. Plush, sweet and intense, with lots of spicy, toasty wood, notes of plum, blackcurrant and apricot skin and good ageing potential. 2022-25”
- Spier Creative Block 5 2017 (93 points). Atkin’s comments: “Like Creative Block 3, albeit in a very different style, this uses fruit from Groenekloof and Stellenbosch and is a stylishly integrated cuvée of Cabernet Sauvignon with 52% Merlot, Cabernet Franc, Petit Verdot and Malbec. Scented, poised and elegant, it has fine tannins, subtle 60% new wood and a core of leafy cassis and plum fruit. 2022-29”
- Spier Seaward Cabernet Sauvignon 2018 (90 points). Atkin’s comments: “Aged in a combination of French and 20% American oak, Seaward is a good value Cabernet Sauvignon from Johan Jordaan with cassis and bramble fruit, some wood spice, subtle, graceful tannins and fresh supporting acidity. 2021-24”
All the current vintages of these wines are available from our online store shop.spier.co.za