These sessions are a great way of dispelling boredom and keeping the kids out of mischief while you enjoy some much-needed time-out. They offer a host of other benefits too: arts and crafts promote creativity and problem solving, encourage self-expression, develop fine motor skills, relieve stress and teach flexibility.
At the Canvas Club, there is no right or wrong and no competition. Kids are taught to work and think like innovators — while having as much playful, relaxed fun as possible. Two different types of classes have been specially tailored to be developmentally appropriate for the age of your little one:
LITTLE ADVENTURERS for kids 18 months — 6 years-old
45min | R100 per class | Accompanied by an adult
Imagine, create, experiment and make new friends! With an emphasis on sensory play and process art, these classes are social, educational and great fun for both child and parent/carer.
CREATIVE CRAFTERS for kids 6 — 13-years-old
60 min | Drop-off
In these classes, kids are encouraged to express their ideas through the process of working with different materials, designing, building, making mistakes, and envisioning creative solutions. Often toys are created in this class — such as an abacus robot, musical instruments, oversized donuts, enhanced forest fairy wings and mini foosball tables. Not only does this promote self esteem (“I made that all by myself!”) — the toys also promise hours of play after class.
All sessions cost just R100 per child. View time-slots and book classes at https://www.canvas.club/spier.
In keeping with Spier’s commitment to a greener future, the classes use only recyclable and sustainable materials.
What to get up to while your kids are getting crafty:
With your kids in good hands, how will you make the most of your free time? Here are a few ideas:
- Sample accoladed wines by the fire at Spier’s cosy Tasting Room
- Feast on fresh farm-to-table fare at Eight Restaurant
- Sip on a coffee while you browse the fridge- and pantry-fillers (including jams, charcuterie and cheese) at the Spier Farm Kitchen
- Tuck into low-and-slow roasted pastured-reared meats at VADAS Smokehouse & Bakery before stocking up on its famous pasteis de nata and other mouthwatering pastries
- Be inspired by Spier’s acclaimed art collection with a VoiceMap audio tour that showcases its key pieces