Everybody loves a Ceasar salad, and this version with added roasted rotisserie chicken and pan-friend sour dough croutons makes a delightful meal out of a few classic ingredients. The easy dressing is a cheat’s version using store-bought mayo, and will save you more than a little effort, but with huge added flavour. Pair with a refreshing glass of Spier Creative Block 2.
For the dressing: (serves 4)
- 1 clove garlic, finely grated
- 1 anchovy fillet, finely chopped then “pulped” with the side of a knife blade
- 30 ml fresh lemon juice
- 5 ml Dijon mustard
- 5 ml Worcester sauce
- 1/2 cup good quality mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup finely grated parmesan cheese (plus more for serving, optionally)
- salt & black pepper, to taste
Place all the ingredients in a jug or mixing bowl, then whisk by hand to mix thoroughly. Set aside.
For the salad:
- a bunch baby gem lettuce leaves, rinsed & drained
- 1 medium size roasted rotisserie chicken, deboned and sliced (mostly breasts & thighs, keep the rest for another meal or for making stock)
- a small bunch asparagus, blanched for 1 minute in water & drained
- 8-12 anchovy fillets
- 1-2 cups diced sour dough bread, pan-fried in a little olive oil until golden
On a large platter or on individual plates, arrange the leaves, chicken, asparagus, anchovies and croutons. Drizzle all over with some dressing, and top with a grinding of salt & black pepper (and optionally more parmesan).
About the wine: Spier Creative Block 2
Gooseberries, limes and white peaches reveal its tropical character, while underlying notes of fynbos and a touch of white asparagus deliver serious depth. The palate is young and tropical, leading to a long, mineral tail that is tight and structured