With a gentle kick guaranteed to brighten even the dreariest of late-winter days, this tomato soup finds a perfect match in the suavely spicy Spier Seaward Shiraz.
This soup is part of the Seaward Soup Tasting, available at our Tasting Room until 31 August for R120 per person.
- 50ml olive oil
- 2 red onions
- 2 medium red chillies
- 250ml water
- 4 minced garlic cloves
- 1.5kg whole peeled tomatoes
- 500g fresh plum tomatoes
- 10g thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 200°C.
2. Line a large baking tray with parchment paper.
3. Place halved tomatoes, garlic, plum tomatoes, chilli, thyme and sliced red onion on baking sheet.
4. Drizzle generously with olive oil and toss lightly.
5. Roast for 35 to 40 min until tomatoes and onions start to char.
6. Remove from oven and blend in a food processor until smooth then pass threw a fine sieve.
About the wine: Spier Seaward Shiraz 2017
Having matured for 14 months in oak barrels, this wine has beautifully layered aromas of mulberry, violets, plum and allspice. The palate has richness with good length and smooth tannins.