Each night, this historic wine farm in Stellenbosch will light up with an array of artworks incorporating light and sound.
“Some of the works are whimsical and flitting, ironic; some may be glimpsed at from a distance and in passing, some will require more time and interaction,” curator Jay Pather explains. “These experiences – of walking and pausing, catching a glimpse or settling down to absorb – invite us to be introspective, adventurous and playful in turn.”
A key work on display is In die sterre geskryf (“Written in the stars”) by Berco Wilsenach, produced in 2009 as part of a body of work called Project for the Blind Astronomer – an artistic investigation into different decoding systems with which our visible night sky can be mapped and explained to a visually impaired audience. The panels are lit from within, creating an effect of thousands of dots floating in midair. This creates an experience of endless space and an infinitive number of dots reflecting within each of the panels. This is the first time In die sterre geskryf will be exhibited outside, drawing upon the real stars above for an even more immersive artistic experience.
Choreographed by Jay Pather, sound and light sculptures will be revealed as the audience follows the procession of performers across a multi-sensory, cross-cultural wonderland.
Expect to encounter excerpts from Stravinsky’s Firebird ballet, choirs, giant puppets, dancers in illuminated costumes and light projections in the bamboo forest.
Arrive early, and enjoy a light dinner before the procession starts:
• Pre-booked picnic hampers will be ready for collection from 16:00 at the Spier Farm Kitchen,
• You can also create your own picnic from a selection of cold cuts, cheeses, salads, breads, pâté and dips from the Spier Farm Kitchen,
• Enjoy a sundowner or dinner at the Spier Hotel Restaurant,
• Settle in for a farm-to-table feast at Eight Restaurant,
• Alternatively, Vadas Smokehouse & Bakery will be serving up ‘low and slow-smoked’ meats.
• Our wine shop will be open until the show starts at 18:30 on opening night. Join us on the wine tasting deck for a cheese platter and a bottle of Signature wine at R110, or a cheese and charcuterie platter, including a bottle of Signature wine at R180.
16:00 PRE-BOOKED PICNIC COLLECTIONS
17:00 - 18:00 REGISTRATION
18:45 WELCOMING BY CURATOR
19:00 PERFORMANCE & PROCESSION STARTS
21:00 LIGHT ART INSTALLATIONS SWITCHED ON
Can't join us for opening night? Each night from 10 December to 31 January 2019, visitors will be able to experience a dazzling array of light and sound artworks throughout the historic Stellenbosch farm. Entrance is free.