More than three centuries of Cape Winelands history
In 1692, this was one of the very first farms to be established in Stellenbosch. A restored Manor House, an intriguing collection of Cape Dutch gables and the oldest dated wine cellar in the country. All on a farm that takes a purist approach to farming for health.
Cape of Good Hope founded by Jan van Riebeeck.
Stellenbosch founded by Governor of the Cape Colony, Simon van der Stel, who named it after himself.
Arnoud Jansz settles on the Spier Farm.
Governor Simon van der Stel signs the first Spier Title Deed when granting the property to Arnoud Jansz.
Mijburg, owner at the time, builds his Wine Cellar, with the holbol gable dating to 1767.
Shed or Cow House centre gable is built.
Jonkershuis Workshop centre gable is built.
Old Kitchen centre gable is built.
Jonkershuis centre gable is built.
Manor House centre gable is added.
The restored Slave Bell on the banks of the Eerste River is built by Van der Byl when he needs a great number of slaves to harvest the grapes from the estate's 80 000 vines.
We bottle our first wine under the Spier label.
The Stellenbosch Wine Route is established by Neil Joubert from Spier, Frans Malan from Simonsig and Spatz Sperling from Delheim.
New wine cellar built with a capacity to produce 50 000 cases of wine per year.
The Spier Hotel is opened.
Spier releases its flagship wine, Frans K Smit, named after our cellar master.
The Spier Manor House undergoes extensive restoration.
Eight Restaurant opens. Like its name, the restaurant is an expression of balance, cycles, harmony, infinity and abundance.
Spier launches its Creative Block wine range.
The Spier Hotel celebrates its 10th Birthday.
Spier releases 21 Gables Chenin Blanc and Pinotage, named after the 21 historical gables found on our farm.
New wine tasting room opened.
Spier launches Gables audio walk, a self-guided fictional tour of the Spier farmstead.
The Dying Slave, a 42,6sqm outdoor mosaic sculpture conceived by Marco Cianfanelli and created by Spier Architectural Arts, is installed at Spier.